9.26.2007

My past meets the present

Horn Creek holds part of my life and part of my heart. Being nestled in the breath-taking Sange De Cristo mountain range gives a feel unlike any other. As the distinctly crisp mountain breeze mixes with the sound of the wind blowing through the aspen trees, I am able to find the quiet places in my heart - those places that you only know are there when you have run out of things to say or think about.

It was great to connect with a few friends that I hadn't seen in awhile. But at the same time, ever since I started working there, it's been hard to remember what it was like to be a camper - without worry or stress during my time on the property. This trip had a few of those same moments.

But I took a long hike down Rainbow Trail and essentially, memory lane as well. I was able to enjoy being completely alone in the mountains that I love. I was able to sit in a rocking chair outside the Ranch Dining hall and look out over the camp that I love while the sun set behind me. It was one of those moments that I wish I could have captured but a picture wouldn't have let you smell the wind or listen to the silence. This was a place where I learned so much about service - maybe because I cleaned 10 bathrooms a week and served over hundreds of meals. A place where I hoped that people would connect with God and yet He seemed so far from me. And at the end of each hard day that we worked there, we had the ability to relax in a rocking chair with the dining hall behind us and smell that same wind. But I didn't do it enough.







Those 6 hours that I spent up in Westcliffe, CO last Saturday afternoon were exactly what I needed. Time far away from the noises of the city and time driving that familiar road that brought me to the Springs and the life I love now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

those pictures are beautiful and there is nothing like having the wind on your face and the silence in our ears and peace of God in your heart.

love you

allijack said...

precious. remember those moments, because yes, cameras cannot capture them. (or the moon.)