9.25.2007

An Effective Use of Time

Tonight I am able to say that I didn't waste my evening. I spent it reading, Dangerous Faith by Joel Vestal, a new book out by NavPress that talks about living a missional life wherever your mission field may be. Joel has traveled to more than seventy different countries around the world and his stories are shocking, awe-inspiring, challenging and compelling. Since my heart already resonates with his passion for missions, it has been quite easy for me to look forward to reading. But tonight I am humbled at my own desire to live the "American dream." I don't want to retire one day and find myself asking questions like "Is that it? I have lived a comfortable and predictable life. But what have I really accomplished with the time I was given?" Instead, as Joel points out, I hope I can be like Paul at the end of my life and say,
"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:12-13 NIV)
I'm reminded that this life isn't about me or what I have to offer. Everything that I have is God's. Everything. And His magnificent plan will take place with or without my help. Therefore, it is a great privilege to be part of it all and there is nothing better that I can do with my life.

It's been a good evening. I wish I was more consistent in using my extra time effectively. But before I go, here's one more quote that was included in this book - it was encouraging to me.
God did not make the first human because He needed company, but because He wanted someone to whom he could show His generosity and love. God did not tell us to follow Him because he needed our help, but because He knew that loving Him would make us whole.
~Irenaeus

1 comment:

Dave Shank said...

Ahhh, I see you made your own little "prison break!" Felt good didn 't it?! I can tell by your comments today that you gained more from Tuesday evening than you could have even imagined from Monday evening. Then again, a little balance in life is necessary too.
Thanks for sharing the insights. You've given me a lift as well.
Dad