8.27.2007

church for the podcast generation

While I drove across the very beautiful and very wide state of Pennsylvania today, I listened to part of a sermon series at The Village Church that Pastor Matt Chandler did during the weeks leading up to Easter called The Cross. I downloaded this sermon series off of iTunes for free a couple months ago and as I enjoyed the cool breeze and allowed my cruise control to take me through the rolling hills, I connected with a church body without ever have stepped foot into their church building. And as wonderful as this experience was, I have begun to wonder if this is healthy..... Don't get me wrong - I was SUPER excited when my friend, Allison, informed me that even though I missed church last weekend, I could download Rocky Mountain Calvary's message off iTunes. I'm just wondering if getting wrapped up in another church's sermon series causes us to stray from what God intended for His body.

Is it good that we receive teaching more frequently than Sundays? Yes.
Is it an equal substitute for the main worship service? No.
Do I really need fellowship with a body? Yes.

But other than music and fellowship, what am I really missing out on? Participating with the body of Christ. Giving of ones time and resources to the church. So, we may not feel like we're missing out on anything but is it only about us anyway?

Lord, please remind me that the reason why I go to church is only partially to hear that sermon. Most importantly, I want to go longing to worship you with my voice in song, with my heart in surrender and with my mind in seeking deeper knowledge of you. Keep me from getting spiritual ADD and allowing my mind to be consumed with so many teachings that I can't see how You are working through them. May You be praised above all things during our times together as a body.

No comments: