8.14.2007

Unspoken questions

Airports, hotels, and rental cars. In most minds, using all three of these (for free) in any given city would be an ideal situation. But I find that life on the road has a different twist. Although I love many of the cities that I travel to for work, my mind tends to disconnect from reality even though that is my reality. (Does that even make sense?) Here are a few thing that I think about every trip I take: ("Think" is a key word here because usually I'm alone so no one hears these thoughts - well, except you now.)

  • Hmmm, is it just me or is everyone in this airport suddenly feeling the urge to stop directly in front of me for no good reason?
  • Oh no, please don't let that be that guy that will occupy the seat beside me. Yes, it's not! Shoot, not that guy either!
  • Please let there be something good on TV tonight to pass the time.
  • Okay, GPS, find me something good for dinner. Something that won't be too far away or less than $20. Something that has a bar so I don't feel like a dork sitting by myself but that will take up enough of my evening since nothing is on TV.
  • Is that guy talking to me? Grrr! I hate those ear pieces. That guy almost fooled me into thinking that someone was actually talking to me!
  • Maybe if I look like I'm reading/sleeping this lady next to me won't try to witness to me.
  • I really hope that I get a cool car - something with a sunroof would be nice. A Saturn is all you have left?
  • Is it too dangerous of an opportunity to know that I can be anyone or anything that I want to be when I'm on the road? Would anyone know otherwise? (By the way, the answer is yes to both questions but that's for another blog.)
  • Should I have a Chicago Dog while I'm in O'hare? And if so, does that really count toward having a Chicago Dog in Chicago? Am I techniqully in Chicago or just some portal?

Just got home from my last trip to Boston for work. Overall it was a pretty great trip. I got to eat dinner at the Union Oyster House, which is the oldest restaurant in America that is still open for business. Great atmosphere and terrific clam chowder! I also drove around the North End (my favorite district in downtown Boston) and past Fenway Park during a Red Sox game. Also, on my flight home from Boston to Chicago, I sat next to a gentlemen that asked if I wanted to switch iPods. I guess this happens quite often in the iPod world but it hasn't ever happened to me and I thoroughly enjoyed it! You can definitely learn a lot about a person based on what kind of music they have. And his playlists reminded me of a few artists/songs that I have been meaning to download but keep forgetting about. All in all, it was a short but sweet time in my favorite city. Hopefully, it won't be too long before I can go back.

No comments: