11.29.2007

simplicity of faith

I need to hear things in simple terms especially when it comes to my faith. When reading through the Bible, I often get overwhelmed with the number of lessons that I can take from one particular passage. How am I supposed to keep up with all the values I need to learn while still avoiding all the temptations I face? How did Jesus keep everything straight? His answer is simple - He is God. But I fall so far short that it causes me to get frustrated and stop dead in my tracks.

I was sharing this with a lady that I've been meeting with lately and she mentioned this while we were talking about spending daily times with God - "Don't feel like you have to get everything you can from every passage. I'm planning on reading the Bible for the rest of my life and when I finish, I'll start again. The next time I read it, I'll learn more things. Let God impress upon your heart what He needs you to know now. He'll show you those other things when you're ready." Ahhhh! I can't tell you how freeing that was for me.

So when I'm trying to read the Bible each day, I don't feel so overwhelmed. I can read and trust that God is revealing what I need to know now. Wonderful. This makes me want to read even more.

No comments: