1.08.2009

Holding Fast: The Untold Story of the Mount Hood Tragedy

Since I live in Colorado, I often hear of tragic stories around climbing expeditions but I've never heard one that impacted my life as greatly as this one. Back in 2006, Kelly James and two of his close climbing buddies attempted to summit Mount Hood during one of the worst storms of the winter season. Karen James, Kelly's wife, was left waiting to hear back from her husband to contact her about their progress but little did she know that her last phone call from him as he was in a snow cave would be the last time she would hear his voice.

Many of us vaguely remember seeing this story on television but as I learned more of Karen's story of faith, I was struck by how much she leaned on the Lord during this time of waiting. Karen, along with many others, waited for days as the rescue teams attempted to find the three men. As the reports bombarded each of the family members with questions, all of them kept praying and believing that God could give them the Christmas miracle that they were looking for.

Even though that Christmas miracle wasn't given to them, Karen was able to grow in her faith in a way that many of us don't get to experience every day. It's during those moments when we don't think that we can make it any further that we find ourselves in the palm of His hand, which is where Karen stayed for many months following. I've found myself in that same place recently when I found out that I was diagnosed with MS. And the most beautiful thing about being in that place is that God's comfort, peace and love flow freely to those that are will to trust Him enough to let Him have control.

No comments: